Immunity is the ability of the body to fight disease-causing microorganisms. The immune system at times fails whereby a germ invades and makes you sick. In case this happens; you need to intervene in the process and make your immune system stronger. Practice good hygiene, improve your diet, take certain vitamins and herbal preparations, and exercise regularly.
The immune system is not a single entity and the idea of boosting your immunity at times may prove to be difficult. For the system to function well there needs to be harmony and balance. General healthy-living strategies are a good way to start boosting your immunity. Choose a healthy lifestyle, protect your immune system and the rest of your body from environmental assaults, and adopt healthy living strategies.
Healthy living strategies
· Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
· Eat less salt to control your blood pressure and curb the greater risk of stroke and heart disease.
· Stay active. Exercise regularly whether by walking, running or riding a bike. This reduces the chance of stroke.
· Maintain a healthy weight.
Your diet plays a vital role when it comes to strengthening your immunity. Eat more of vegetables, fruits, whole grains; low-fat milk, lean protein, and keep an eye on the fats you add when cooking.
Vitamins and minerals are essential for your immune system. Include foods rich in vitamins and minerals in your diet rather than in pill form. Vitamins C, A, B6, E, D, selenium, folic acid, iron, and zinc are all important for boosting your immunity. Get them from food rather than in oil form.
Essence of Vitamins and Minerals
· Iron helps your body transport oxygen to all body cells. Foods rich in iron are beans, broccoli, and kale.
· Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps your body fight infections. Sunflower seeds, spinach, broccoli, and peanuts are all high in vitamin E.
· Vitamin B6 helps the body during biochemical reactions. Foods high in this vitamin include bananas, baked potatoes, tuna, and chickpeas.
· Carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A. They have an antioxidant effect that strengthens your immunity.
· You can find selenium in garlic, broccoli, tuna, and barley. Selenium can slow your body from overactive responses to certain cancer forms.
· Zinc controls inflammation and slows down immune responses in your body. You can find it in crab, lean meat, baked beans, poultry, and oysters among other foods.
Herbs that naturally improve your immune system
· Ginseng: has an active component known as ginsenosides that have anti-cancer properties.
· Bell pepper: contains components that are known to lower the risk of cancer, and prevent cataracts
· Turmeric: this spice prevents the liver from adverse effects of alcohol and helps in digestion.